Popular Eatery still remains in same building for over 100 years.

 

 

Alvin George with his employees.
Left side, Alvin George with Huot Bell behind him.

Alvin George was a very successful restaurant owner in Kittanning till his death in 1927. He started in the basement of the Safe and Guaranty, the building which currently houses Citizens Bank. This was around 1891.  In the early 1900’s he moved to the site of the current Dizzy Lizzies which continues to serve the public. This place was long known as Clark’s Restaurant for many years. Alvin George’s wife Mary ran a bakery at 134 Market till about 1940.

Al George standing behind the counter to the left, Huot Bell beside him.

Alvin L. George

Well Known Man Taken Suddenly – Simpson’s Daily-Leader Times   June 12,1927

The community was shocked Sunday evening by the announcement of the death of former Councilman Alvin Leonard George at his residence on west Market Street shortly after eight o’clock. Although he never fully recovered from the effects of a serious illness he had last year he was nevertheless able to be around much as usual everyday and the condition of his health seemed to be slowly improving. Hence the news of his demise was unexpected and came as a great shock to his family and a wide circle of friends.

Accompanied by Harry Pollock a friend Mr. George went to Cambridge Springs the first part of last week for a few days stay and during their absence they enjoyed motor trips to Erie and Buffalo returning home Friday evening. Saturday Mr. George remained mostly at home and Sunday evening shortly before eight o’clock went to the bath room to take a warm bath before retiring. A few minutes later he was heard falling, and when the bathroom was entered he was found on the floor with life almost extinct. Heart failure was attributed as the cause of death.

Mr. George was born February 8, 1862, in Armstrong County and was a son of William and Margaret (Dible) George. In 1891 he engaged in a restaurant business in a small room in the basement of the Safe Deposit building this place, continuing the same until the basement was remodeled several years ago and converted for use of the Safe Deposit Bank. Meanwhile Mr. George had opened and conducted with equally marked success a much larger café in the Gilpin building, on the south east corner of Market and Mckean streets, which bears his name and which is one of the best known eating places in this section. Mr. George was naturally a restaurateur and his ability, couple with close, personal application, established him prominently in that business in the community.

For six years Mr. George served as a member of Town Council and had the distinction of being chosen as president of that body. Fraternally he was a member of the Knights of Pythais and the Elks. His church home was the First Presbyterian church.

In his younger days he was one of the active of Hose Company Number Two and took a prominent part in the affairs of that organization which was so helpful and influential quarter of a century ago.

On June 30,1887 Mr. George married Mary Walker, a daughter of Frederick Walker, of Jefferson county, who with the following children survive: Miss Pauline Walker, New York City; Mrs. Alexander Bonner, Alvin George and Miss Mary George, Kittanning.

Known Employees of Alvin George 1904 – Ross C. Stineman (baker), 1904 – Frank Moore (waiter), 1904 – John Slusher (helper), 1904 – John A. Frischkorn (baker), 1904 – Kirk Bowser (driver),  1904 – Winnette L. Edwards(waiter), 1904 – J. A. Hays(waiter), 1917 – Huot Bell, 1919 – Ruth Glenn (cashier), 1919 – Herbert “Paddy” McMasters (cook),  1919 – Robert “Inky” Swan (waiter),  1919 – Reynolds Walthour (waiter)

Photos from Grandson  – Harry Bonner

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *